Sunday, July 4, 2010

Serena Slam'n for good cause

In years to come, Serena Williams hopes to be remembered as a humanitarian as much as a tennis ace.That may be impossible at this rate, though.

With her fourth Wimbledon trophy secured so effortlessly on Saturday night, the American superstar climbed above her childhood idol Billie-Jean King to outright fifth on the all-time Grand Slam title leaderboard.

Williams's 13 career majors leaves the 28-year-old behind only Australia's own Margaret Smith Court (24), German Steffi Graf (22), fellow Americans Helen Wills Moody (19) and Chris Evert (18) and Czech-born American Martina Navratilova (18).

Not that it matters too much to Williams herself.

''I know Martina and I guess five other people are ahead of me,'' the world No1 said after thumping Vera Zvonareva 6-3, 6-2 in 67 minutes for her first successful title defence at the All England Club since 2003.

''But I didn't even know I was six on the list or seven or what not. I'm telling you, I don't think about that kind of stuff.
''My thing is I love my dogs, I love my family, I love going to the movies, I love reading, I love going shopping. Like it's not on my list to be this.

''At the end of the day, I would love to open more schools in Africa or in the United States and I would love to help people.
''I would like to be remembered as, 'okay, yeah, she was a tennis player. But, wow, she really did a lot to inspire other people and help other people'.

''That's what I think about, not about Serena Williams won X amount of Grand Slams.''

Williams said tennis was the perfect way of drawing attention to her charitable pursuits.

''I think the better I can do, the more I can help other people,'' she said.

Via: The Canberra Times